How to know the type of an expression ?

From: maa1666(at)yahoo(dot)fr
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How to know the type of an expression ?
Date: 2006-10-27 11:38:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there a means to know the type of an expression ?
Something like a "typeof" function ?

As I work a lot with numbers of type "numeric", I often want to know
the precision of the result returned by an expression, in case the
returned result is "numeric".
I would also like to know if numbers of type "numeric" have not been
silently converted to "double precision" somewhere in the expression.

Best regards

Nicolas Riesch