importing data automatically

From: "Menke, Kurt" <kmenke(at)edac(dot)unm(dot)edu>
To: "'pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: importing data automatically
Date: 2003-10-03 14:55:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

I am running PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on RedHat 8. I have many large census tables
I need to import. I access the Linux box from my Windows 2000 machine via
Cygwin and can access PostgreSQL similarly via EMS PostgreSQL Manager. I
understand that a table must be created with the correct fields before
INSERT or COPY can be used, or before the data import wizard in EMS can be
used. My problem is that I have some very large tables with hundreds of
fields to import. Is there a way to get PostgeSQL to honor the database
schema from an MS Access database and create the appropriate fields on
import automagically?

Kurt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kurt A. Menke