Re: transactoin id wraparound problem

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Sriram Dandapani <sdandapani(at)counterpane(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transactoin id wraparound problem
Date: 2006-09-06 19:38:19
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 14:23, Sriram Dandapani wrote:
> Thanks
>
> Is there a way to monitor vacuum progress. Can I resume normal
> operations assuming vacuum will update the transaction ids or should I
> wait till it finishes.

As Andrew mentioned, there's the possibility of wrapping before vacuum
finishes. Other than that, there's no danger to continuing to use the
db while it's being vacuumed.

There was a post here a little while back that had a query that would
show you how many transactions you had until wraparound and which
databases had been vacuumed when...

The basic data is in pg_database. Take a look at that table.