CREATE DATABASE

From: Rafal Pietrak <rafal(at)zorro(dot)isa-geek(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CREATE DATABASE
Date: 2006-08-03 16:29:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I'd like to cast a small 'feature request' here for discussion/
evaluation. The case is the following:

When working on a new database application I quite frequently:
-------------------------------
test_xx# \c template1
template1# DROP DATABASE test_xx;
template1# CREATE DATABASE test_xx TEMPLATE = earlier_version;
template1# \c test_xx
template1# \i some_cooked_dataset.sql-dump
-------------------------------

All this is of cource issued from psql utility, and using psql_history
buffer.

Now, the thing is, that I have to be very carefull and focused when
going back in psql_history, as several times I've skiped the "\c
test_xx" stage .... and ended up in a mass.

Now, the solution looks simple: if only "CREATE DATABASE" had an
additional keyword, like CONNECT, meaning "\c <newdb>" after successful
DB creation, the execution a similar sequence from history buffer, would
be much safer.

So I'd like to express here this 'feature request' - Regretably, I'm not
quite up to implementing such feature myself, but may be someone can?
Comments?

--
-R