Re: Degraded performance during table rewrite

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mohamed Wael Khobalatte <mkhobalatte(at)grubhub(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Degraded performance during table rewrite
Date: 2020-07-04 02:31:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Mohamed Wael Khobalatte <mkhobalatte(at)grubhub(dot)com> writes:
> Do you happen to know if there is an upper limit to how much time the
> planner is willing to spend on this?

There is not. (I have considered that idea, but it's not implemented.
I'm not sure whether there's still much practical problem given the
v11+ behavior, so I'm not in a hurry to complicate things more.)

Another idea that might conceivably be useful to you on 9.6 is to
reorganize the bulk deletions so that most of them aren't at the endpoint
of the live id range. If you made it so that the extremal values are
deleted last, you'd never hit this behavior.