Re: sessions and prepared statements

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: John DeSoi <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: chester c young <chestercyoung(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sessions and prepared statements
Date: 2006-06-16 12:55:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 08:27 -0400, John DeSoi wrote:
> On Jun 15, 2006, at 11:49 AM, chester c young wrote:
>
> > in PHP for example, where there are multiple sessions and which you
> > get is random:
> >
> > how do you know if the session you're in has prepared a particular
> > statement?
> >
> > and/or how do you get a list of prepared statements?
> >
> > last, is there any after login trigger that one could use to
> > prepare statements the session would need? or is this a dumb idea?
>
> If you are using pooled connections, I don't think there is a
> reasonable way you could managed prepared statements across requests.
> You'll probably want to just prepare the ones you need for the
> current request and discard them when the request ends.

Temporary tables.

BEGIN;
SAVEPOINT;
SELECT * FROM temporary_prepared_statement;
ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT < on failure>;
CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temporary_prepared_statement ...;
COMMIT;

Now you have a place to store and retrieve prepared connection state for
the lifetime of the database backend provided PHP doesn't remove
temporary tables on the connection.