a row disapearing

From: Rafal Pietrak <rafal(at)zorro(dot)isa-geek(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: a row disapearing
Date: 2006-05-27 18:01:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

This is ambarasing, but I've just noticed the following (which looks
inconsistant to inexperienced eye). Having a table:

test=> CREATE TABLE xxx (id int, info text);

With some rows in it, I try:

test=> SELECT count(1) from xxx where id=1;
count
-------
0
(1 row)

This is correct (meaning, I expected that). But when I try to fetch the
actual selector used in the query as well, I get no rows instead.

test=> SELECT count(1),id from xxx where id=1 group by id;
count | id
(0 rows)

Is this a feature, or a bug? And in fact, is there a construct to get
both the count() and its selectors *in*case*, when the count is ZERO?

All the above in postgres 8.1.

Thenx.

--
-R