Re: best practice in upgrading db structure

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Kenneth Downs <ken(at)secdat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: best practice in upgrading db structure
Date: 2006-05-17 08:53:40
Lists: pgsql-general

> I will ask, though, why use XML/XSL, why not use a format that lets
> you load the data to tables, then you do a huge number of tricks with
> it prior to generating the DDL, not the least of which is diff'ing
> current structure to see what needs to be changed.

Well, XML/XSLT is indeed not the best for this purpose, but I didn't
know that when I first implemented it :-)

Next time I'll use something else.

> Anyway, our system uses a format that looks something like CSS, it is
> documented here:
>
> http://docs.secdat.com/index.php?gppn=Database+Specifications

I agree that the CSS-like style is more readable than XML, but the other
DB maintainers here had expressed their desire to have it SQL-like :-)

I have no problems with XML either, but not all are happy with it...

Cheers,
Csaba.