Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN

From: "Jeremy Haile" <jhaile(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres and Ingres R3 / SAN
Date: 2006-03-06 19:58:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

Clustering solutions for PostgreSQL are currently pretty limited. Slony
could be a good option in the future, but it currently only supports
Master-Slave replication (not true clustering) and in my experience is a
pain to set up and administer. Bizgres MPP has a lot of promise,
especially for data warehouses, but it currently doesn't have the best
OLTP database performance.

So, I had a couple of questions:
1) I have heard bad things from people on this list regarding SANs - but
is there a better alternative for a high performance database cluster?
(both for redundancy and performance) I've heard internal storage
touted before, but then you have to do something like master-master
replication to get horizontal scalability and write performance will
suffer.

2) Has anyone on this list had experience using Ingres R3 in a clustered
environment? I am considering using Ingres R3's built-in clustering
support with a SAN, but am interested to know other people's experiences
before we start toying with this possibility. Any experience with the
Ingres support from Computer Associates? Good/bad?

Jeremy