Re: About postgres pg_upgrade

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Rama Krishnan <raghuldrag(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About postgres pg_upgrade
Date: 2024-04-05 07:41:05
Lists: pgsql-general

> On 5 Apr 2024, at 06:47, Rama Krishnan <raghuldrag(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Could you please explain me how does pg_upgrade works one of my friends it works based on pg_restore I am bit confused

The documentation does a fairly good job explaining how it works, and there are
multiple blogposts and presentations on the subject to be found.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/pgupgrade.html

To summarize in a few words, pg_upgrade does a dump/restore of the schema from
the old cluster into the new, but copies the table data. Your friend is thus
isn't wrong, it does use pg_restore but only for the schema, not the data.

--
Daniel Gustafsson