Division

From: Robert Fitzpatrick <lists(at)webtent(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Division
Date: 2005-11-04 17:13:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I am having a problem gettig a percent via division. Below is the first
part of my trigger function where pct returns 0.00, instead of the
expected 0.50. If I try without dimensions to the numeric variable, I
just get 0. What is the correct way to accomplish the percent?

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."issue" (varchar) RETURNS numeric
AS'
DECLARE
repar text[];
pct numeric(3,2);
noreps integer;

BEGIN
repar := string_to_array($1,''-'');
noreps := array_upper(repar,1);
pct := 1/noreps;
RETURN pct;
END;
'LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

bachman=# select issue('AA-BB');
issue
-------
0.00