Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, J B <jbwellsiv(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL's bug tracker
Date: 2005-10-11 18:42:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2005-11-10 at 14:43 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> My personal favourite bug-tracker is debbugs, as used by the Debian
> Project. You can submit bugs by email, they get forwarded to
> maintainers (which can be a mailing list) via email. When they reply,
> the reply is also stored with the bug. Bugs can be tagged. AFAIK you
> can subscribe to bugs so if anything is added or altered you are told
> about it.

I think debbugs is fairly close to what we'd need, for reasons stated
earlier:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-05/msg01156.php

(I think Bugzilla is *completely* the wrong tool for the Postgres
development model.)

I've heard vague comments from Debian people that the debbugs code is
kind of evil, although I haven't confirmed that myself. Writing a system
like this from scratch would not be much work, anyway...

-Neil