functions and execution plan caching

From: Kelly Burkhart <kelly(at)tradebotsystems(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: functions and execution plan caching
Date: 2005-10-06 13:17:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am working on a system which will be heavily dependent on functions
(some SQL, some PL/pgSQL). I am worried about the backend caching query
execution plans for long running connections.

Given:
- Processes which are connected to the database for long periods of time
(transactions are always short).
- These processes will use some functions to query data.
- Lots of data is being inserted into tables that these functions query.
- Vacuums are done frequently.

Am I at risk of degrading performance after some time due to stale
execution plans?

Thanks,

-Kelly