Noob question about types and lists

From: xchris <lyralyra(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Noob question about types and lists
Date: 2005-10-06 10:40:06
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,
i'm really new to postgres and have some doubts.
Hope somebody could explain.

Let say i have a table of "clients" and every client has a small number
of addresses. (let say 3)
My approch is to create a type "address" like this (simplified)

CREATE TYPE address AS
(
street VARCHAR(160),
city INTEGER,
cap INTEGER,
country INTEGER (those are referring to other table)
);

and then composing table client

CREATE TABLE client
(
id SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
name VARCHAR(80),
surname VARCHAR(80),
address address[3]
UNIQUE (name,surname)
);

This doesn't work.
I cannot create a list of types.

I'm using a wrong syntax? or simply i cannot do this?

Please forgive me if this is explained somewhere in the doc or in faqs,I
didn't find it.

Thank You

Christian