Re: beginning hackers (was: indexes spanning multiple

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Rosser Schwarz <rosser(dot)schwarz(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: beginning hackers (was: indexes spanning multiple
Date: 2005-08-22 22:48:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 15:24 -0500, Rosser Schwarz wrote:
> while you weren't looking, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> [indexes spanning multiple tables]
>
> > Wouldn't recommend it as a project for a beginning backend hacker;
> > the locking considerations alone are a bit daunting.
>
> That being the case, is there a list anywhere of open/wish list/TODO
> items that are suitable for beginning pg hackers? I've been over the
> TODO list and found myself fairly daunted by what I see, but would
> still like to take a stab at contributing.

Utility commands (CREATE, ALTER, DROP) seem to be the easiest to deal
with since they are pretty much self contained:

* Allow TRUNCATE ... CASCADE/RESTRICT
* Add a separate TRUNCATE permission
* Add COMMENT ON for all cluster global objects (roles, databases
and tablespaces)
* Allow ALTER TABLE ... ALTER CONSTRAINT ... RENAME
* Have ALTER TABLE RENAME rename SERIAL sequence names

Another source of items on the TODO list is the Unsupported Features
portion of the SQL Conformance documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/unsupported-features-sql-standard.html

Identity and Generator support or possibly simple Assertions shouldn't
have too significant of a learning curve to implement. The amount of
work may be large but you don't need to dig into the difficult to do
right bits of code like the optimizer.