Re: pgsql: move hex_decode() to /common so it can be called from frontend

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: move hex_decode() to /common so it can be called from frontend
Date: 2020-12-25 02:20:27
Lists: pgsql-committers

> I now understand the wisdom of your suggestion. Attached is a patch
> that removes hex_decode from ecpg properly, and returns -1 from the
> /common version.

I'm fairly unimpressed with this. I don't like having fundamentally
different (and 100% undocumented) behaviors between the frontend and
backend versions of the "same" function.

I think you should leave ecpglib alone. Unifying that little bit
of code isn't worth having to contort the API of the common version.