Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Date: 2005-05-12 15:37:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> Argument 3: backwards compatibility. Do you remember how tablespaces
> introduction broke pgAdmin?

This argument, at least, is bogus. See my original comments to Josh:
it is not credible that these views will be significantly more stable
than the underlying catalogs. We don't change the catalogs on whims;
we change them because we have to in order to make some significant
improvement in functionality. For instance, if this nested-schema
idea goes in, the proposed views will have to change, or else become
useless for most of the purposes they are being touted for.