Re: Table modifications with dependent views - best

From: "David Roussel" <pgsql-general(at)diroussel(dot)xsmail(dot)com>
To: "Michael Fuhr" <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>, "John Browne" <jkbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table modifications with dependent views - best
Date: 2005-04-22 10:34:29
Lists: pgsql-general

> I usually put DDL statements in a transaction, for a couple of
> reasons: so that a mistake doesn't leave me with half-done work
> (any error will cause the entire transaction to roll back), and to
> make the changes atomic for the benefit of other transactions.

Can you do that in postgres? Will it really make the DDL atomic?

I know that is oracle any DDL will implicityly commit any existing
transaction, start another one, and commit again at the end of the
statement.

I think it is similar in SQL Server too.

Can postgress really do DDL on multiple tables and indexes atomically?