Re: getting count for a specific querry

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Bob Henkel <luckyratfoot(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting count for a specific querry
Date: 2005-04-08 20:42:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 15:35, Bob Henkel wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 3:23 PM, Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005, at 3:23 PM, Joel Fradkin wrote:
>
> > I set up the data on 4 10k scsi drives in a powervault and
> my wal on 2
> > 15k
> > drives. I am using links to those from the install
> directory. It
> > starts and
> > stops ok this way, but maybe it should be different.
> >

> Your problem might just be the choice of using a Dell RAID
> controller.
> I have a 1 year old box connected to a 14 disk powervault
> (PowerEdge
> 2650) and it is dog slow compared to a dual opteron with 8
> disks that
> is replacing it. It is all I/O for me, and the dell's just
> are not
> known for speedy I/O.
>
> Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
> +1-301-869-4449 x806
>

> But that is relative I would think. Is the Dell RAID much faster than
> my desktop SATA drive with no RAID? I'm by any means as knowledgeable
> about I/O setup as many of you are but my 2 cents wonders if the Dell
> RAID is really that much slower than a competitively priced/speced
> alternative? Would Joel's problems just fade away if he wasn't using
> a Dell RAID?

My experience with the 3i controllers (See my earlier post) was that my
old Pentium Pro200x2 machine with 512 meg ram and a generic Ultra Wide
SCSI card and a half dozen drives running software RAID 5 was faster.

Seriously. So was my P-II-350 desktop with the same controller, and an
older Dual P-III-750 with only UltraSCSI running in a RAID-1 mirror set.

The 3I is REALLY slow (or at least WAS slow) under linux.