Re: prelimiary performance comparison pgsql vs mysql

From: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer(at)ieee(dot)org>, "'PgSql General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: prelimiary performance comparison pgsql vs mysql
Date: 2005-03-15 21:44:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 12:43 +0000, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Take 30 minutes to read through the article below. It covers the basics
> of how to manage your configuration settings.
> http://www.powerpostgresql.com/PerfList

That's an informative article. I was hoping, however, that it would have
a few details about the effects of the statistics settings on
performance. Which statistics options affect the planner? Do they
potentially affect autovacuum?

Also, a 32-bit machine can only hold so much RAM. If I'm correct, there
are ways to address more memory than that on a 32 bit machine, but I
wonder at what cost? In other words, is it a good idea to address more
than 4GB on a 32 bit machine? If not, is it a reasonable choice to
invest in 64 bit if you want >4GB of RAM? Or are you better off just
spending the money on RAID and staying at 4GB?

Regards,
Jeff Davis

PS: A minor typo in "Disk and WAL" -> "checkpoint_segments":
s/Depening/Depending/