Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

From: tony <tony(at)tgds(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: postgres list <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Date: 2005-03-11 16:19:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Le vendredi 11 mars 2005 à 16:51 +0100, Magnus Hagander a écrit :

> Do *not* do this with a production database.
>
> Vmware does *not* correctly handle fsync()s (or O_SYNC or any of those)
> thruogh to disk. If your host PC crashes, your database will almost
> certainly be corrupted. fsync() on the client just puts it in the RAM
> cache on the host. Not even in the write cache on the disk/raid.

Putting Windows NT inside a virtual machine (VMware workstation) solved
all hardware stability problems in my case. NT would only crash if we
forgot to reboot every 45 days or so... The Linux host had a 9 month
uptime at one point.

If you could be more explicit as to why VMware client does not write to
disk I would much appreciate. I was thinking of virtualising a couple of
servers (Linux client on Linux host). TIA

Tony Grant