Re: BUG #13978: xmin,xmax not current for foreign table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: digoal(at)126(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #13978: xmin,xmax not current for foreign table
Date: 2016-02-23 03:38:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

digoal(at)126(dot)com writes:
> tbl0 is a foreign table with postgres_fdw
> master=# select tableoid,ctid,xmin,xmax,* from tbl0;
> but the right values is:

xmin/xmax are not meaningful in foreign tables. Even in the case of a
postgres_fdw foreign table, they cannot be useful because there's no way
to map between the remote server's XID numbering and local XIDs. So I do
not believe your claim that there's a "right" value for them to have.

Ideally, those columns wouldn't even exist in foreign tables; but fixing
that has so far not seemed worth the trouble it would require.