how can I query for unset timestamps

From: Bret Hughes <bhughes(at)elevating(dot)com>
To: postgresql sql list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: how can I query for unset timestamps
Date: 2005-02-22 21:09:54
Lists: pgsql-sql

I have a table that I recently altered by adding several timestamp
columns. I would like to query the table for those rows for which the
timestamp has not been set but am unable to find a way to do so. any
tips ? in psql the column appears empty and char_length returns
nothing.

Some of what I have tried

"" -> not valid

char_length(last_timestamp) > 0 -> returns the rows with the time
stamps

where NOT char_length(last_timestamp) > 0 -> returns 0 rows

where NOT (char_length(last_timestamp) > 0 ) -> returns 0 rows

where last_timestamp = NULL; -> 0 rows

this is kicking my butt, and starting to piss me off so if any one has
tips I would appreciate it.

Bret