Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..

From: amrit(at)health2(dot)moph(dot)go(dot)th
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)coretech(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: PGsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Low Performance for big hospital server ..
Date: 2005-01-03 08:18:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

> shared_buffers = 12000 will use 12000*8192 bytes (i.e about 96Mb). It is
> shared, so no matter how many connections you have it will only use 96M.

Now I use the figure of 27853

> >Will the increasing in effective cache size to arround 200000 make a little
> bit
> >improvement ? Do you think so?

Decrease the sort mem too much [8196] make the performance much slower so I use
sort_mem = 16384
and leave effective cache to the same value , the result is quite better but I
should wait for tomorrow morning [official hour] to see the end result.

> I would leave it at the figure you proposed (128897), and monitor your
> performance.
> (you can always increase it later and see what the effect is).
Yes , I use this figure.

If the result still poor , putting more ram "6-8Gb" [also putting more money
too] will solve the problem ?
Thanks ,
Amrit
Thailand