Data directory copies...

From: Steve Tucknott <steve(at)retsol(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: PostGreSQL <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Data directory copies...
Date: 2004-12-01 19:05:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

PostGreSQL 7.4.5 RedHat 8

I saw the recent thread re problems when copying databases across
machines.

If I have two 'servers' - both RedHat 8, both running PostgreSQL 7.4.5,
is is valid (if the postmaster is down on both servers) to simply copy
the PGDATA directory from one 'server' to a different (previously
emptied) location on the second 'server'? It seems to fire up ok and
work 'at first glance' - but I don't want to create any long term
problems
.

Regards,

Steve Tucknott