using NEW in a trigger calling a function in plpgsql...

From: "Creager, Robert S" <CreagRS(at)LOUISVILLE(dot)STORTEK(dot)COM>
To: "'General - PGSQL'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: using NEW in a trigger calling a function in plpgsql...
Date: 2001-03-22 01:24:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey,

I'm attempting to create update/insert/delete triggers which end up relying
on two functions, add_influence and remove_influence (both plpgsql
functions). I've attempted to call these functions which accepts a known
table as a parameter, and am PERFORM'ing a call to that function with NEW as
the parameter. The error I receive is: ERROR: NEW used in non-rule query.
Can I accomplish this in plpgsql, or do I need to switch over to C/C++? I
would prefer to not re-select the data info another variable...

Thanks,
Rob

Robert Creager
Senior Software Engineer