Re: postgres 8.2.13 compatibility with RHEL 6.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lekshmi Ts <lekshmi(dot)ts(at)tcs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres 8.2.13 compatibility with RHEL 6.4
Date: 2014-03-12 13:59:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Lekshmi Ts <lekshmi(dot)ts(at)tcs(dot)com> writes:
> We have tried installing postgres 8.2.13 in RHEL 6.4 server. But we
> couldnot create a database. Is this a compatibility issue?

No.

Probably the first question to ask is why you're trying to install
such an obsolete, long-out-of-support version of Postgres in the first
place --- and not even close to the last minor release thereof. Whoever
thought that was a good choice of release to use needs re-education.
http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/

Having said that, though, 8.2 should certainly work on RHEL 5/6 era
platforms. You either built it wrong, installed it wrong, or are
using it wrong. There's quite insufficient data here to say exactly
what's wrong, though.