Re: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql

From: <mallah(at)trade-india(dot)com>
To: <adivi(at)maximizelearning(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostGreSql equivalents to mssql
Date: 2003-07-06 06:44:22
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hi,
> i am a novice at PostGreSQL
> but have some idea of MsSqlServer
>
> Migrating to PostGreSql, i need to know how capable pgsql Functions
> are , Vis a Vis SQLServer. can pgsql functions replace all
> functionality provided by Stored Procedures of MSSqlServer

Dear Adivi ,

Congratulations on choosing the most advanced opensource database on earth.
You can expect all the support from the nice people residing here ;-)

> specifically:
> 1. do pgsql Functions
> a.> return datasets

yes postgresql 7.3.x CAN
check
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SetReturningFunctions
for details.

> b.> return output parameters

I dont get this question very much, someone else might be
able to help u here.

> 2. does PostGreSQL have an equivalent to Triggers of SQLServer

Yes very much,
check Triggers sections in the postgresql Documentation.

> i'd also appreciate any links to find out about
>
> the possibility of exporting
> data
> relations
> stored procs / functions / Triggers
>
> from PostGreSQL database.

check http://techdocs.postgresql.org/#convertfrom
and specifically the
#

Microsoft SQL Server
# Converting your data from MS SQL Server 7 to PostgreSQL 7.1.x by Ryan C.
Bonham#HOWTO : Microsoft SQL Server to PostgreSQL Migration by Ian Harding

Section.