Re: NEW used in a query that is not in a rule

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NEW used in a query that is not in a rule
Date: 2004-09-14 20:59:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 19:34, Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm bouncing on the following problem, I don't know if is a bug or if exist a different
> way to do it.
> The following code is not meaningfull but it's an extract of what I'm trying to do:
>

> CREATE TABLE foo ( field1 INTEGER );
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION trigger_foo()
> RETURNS TRIGGER AS'
> DECLARE
>
> ~ my_field TEXT;
> ~ my_stat TEXT;
>
> BEGIN
>
> ~ my_field = TG_ARGV[0];
>
> ~ my_stat = ''SELECT field1 FROM foo where field1 = NEW.'' || my_field;

My guess is that you are having this problem because you are executing a
query referring to NEW rather than using it directly.

I don't think you can refer to NEW in a command string given to
EXECUTE. You probably need to set up an IF...ELSIF...ELSE...END IF
structure to get the value to put into the command string.

--
Oliver Elphick olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver