Re: Snapshot backups

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, James Sewell <james(dot)sewell(at)lisasoft(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Snapshot backups
Date: 2013-07-31 12:24:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Alban Hertroys <haramrae(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> That begs the question what happens in case of a crash or (worse) a partial crash when multiple file systems are involved.

As long as the OS+hardware honors the contract of fsync(), everything's
fine. If the storage system loses data that it claims to have fsync'd to
stable storage, there's not much we can do about that, except recommend
that you have a backup plan.

In practice, the more complicated your storage infrastructure is, the more
likely it is to have bugs ...