Re: merge-join for domain with underlying type text

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Randall Lucas <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)net>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: merge-join for domain with underlying type text
Date: 2003-05-11 03:19:49
Lists: pgsql-sql

Randall Lucas <rlucas(at)tercent(dot)net> writes:
> Hackers, why is this? It seems to me that since everything else (or
> everything I've run into so far, up to the full outer joins) is
> implicitly the same for a simple domain and its underlying base type,
> that it would make sense if this, too, Just Worked.

It does Just Work ... in CVS tip. I can't make it magically work in
7.3 --- at least not without back-patching a lot of stuff that hasn't
been through beta-testing yet.

The problem is that mergejoin in existing releases will only work on
plain "Var = Var" clauses. Your domain case doesn't look like that
because of the runtime cast operators.