Re: good pc but bad performance,why?

From: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: good pc but bad performance,why?
Date: 2004-04-08 08:54:39
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 14:13, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> But it should be okay to set the filesystem to journal only its own
> >> metadata. There's no need for it to journal file contents.
>
> > Can you set ext2 to journal metadata? I didn't know it could do that.
>
> No, ext2 has no journal at all AFAIK. But I believe ext3 has an option
> to journal or not journal file contents, and at least on a Postgres-only
> volume you'd want to turn that off.

No, it certainly doesn't.

To be honest I was not aware that PostgreSQL was susceptible to failure
on non[metadata] journalled filesystems - I was [somewhat vaguely] of
the understanding that it would work fine on any filesystem.

And obviously, from my original post, we can see that I believed
metadata journalling was wasted on it.

Is the 'noatime' option worthwhile? Are you saying that PostgreSQL
should always be run on a metadata journalled filesystem then, and that
VFAT, ext2, etc are ++ungood?

Thanks,
Andrew McMillan.

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net .NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/ PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201 MOB: +64(21)635-694 OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds - Shaw