Re: Regression test : pg_conversion validation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: neha khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Carol Walter <carol(dot)walter(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression test : pg_conversion validation
Date: 2017-02-14 03:16:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

neha khatri <nehakhatri5(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Carol Walter <carol(dot)walter(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
> wrote:
>> I'm not sure why this would be a problem. Postgres isn't going to run on
>> the EBCDIC machine so the data will just have to be run through a code
>> inverter going back an forth.
>> There are many of them available for this kind of application.

> It is not a problem as such. Just that this kind of conversion in Postgres
> might simplify the data transfer.

It just doesn't come up often enough to justify our investing the work to
create and maintain such a facility within Postgres. I just did a quick
search of the PG list archives, and cannot find another request for this
feature within the last ten years. (In the same interval I find just one
request to support EBCDIC as a native encoding, which is even less likely
to happen.) So basically there's no interest in this problem among our
user community, and we have lots of higher-priority things to do.