Re: pgsql-server: Add: > > * Allow buffered WAL writes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server: Add: > > * Allow buffered WAL writes
Date: 2004-08-14 03:45:14
Lists: pgsql-committers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Who exactly signed onto this as a good idea? It sure doesn't square
>> with my ideas of an ACID database. Committed means committed, not
>> "maybe if you're lucky committed".

> True but we support fsync. Certainly it would be more useful than
> fsync, and it might allow us to remove fsync.

How so? fsync off is for I-don't-care-about-this-data-at-all cases
(primarily development, though loading already-archived data can
qualify too). I'm not seeing a use-case for "I care about this data,
but only once it's more than N seconds old". It certainly does not
replace "just go as fast as you can", which is what fsync off means.

> No one has to sign TODO items, BTW. They are added and removed as
> requested.

[ shrug... ] So if I request removal of this item, it will go away
again? It hasn't reached the age needed to guarantee commit ;-)