Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Value of Quad vs. Dual Processor machine
Date: 2003-11-12 01:24:51
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 17:32, Chris Field wrote:
> We are getting ready to spec out a new machine and are wondering about
> the wisdom of buying a quad versus a dual processor machine. Seing as
> how postgres in not a threaded application, and this server will only be
> used for log/transaction analysis (it will only ever have a few large
> queries running). Is there any performance to be gained, and if so is
> it worth the large cost? Any thoughts/experience are much
> appreciated...

Xeon or Opteron? The faster Opterons *really* blaze, especially
in 64-bit mode. As others have said, though, RAM and I/O are most
important.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net
Jefferson, LA USA

"As I like to joke, I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it
popular"
David Bradley, regarding Ctrl-Alt-Del