Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)in-machina(dot)com>
To: Gautam Saha <gsaha(at)imsa(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ER diagram tool for PostgresSQL7.3
Date: 2003-11-11 01:39:32
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 13:58, Gautam Saha wrote:

> Is there a ER diagram tool someone can recommend for PostgreSQL?
> I should be able to create ER diagram from existing database also
> (reverse engineering).
> Any open source product would be ideal.

I'd like an open source product too, but haven't seen any. I have used
Data Architect (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/) and
Case Studio 2 (http://www.casestudio.com/enu/products.aspx).

DA is a very reasonably priced, closed-source, Qt/KDE app. I found it a
little daunting to configure and get working with unixODBC on linux many
months ago, but eventually I did and it's probably better these days.
There were a few annoyance bugs related to printing crashes and spacing,
as I recall, but eventually I found work arounds for those too.

CS2 worked fairly well, but I remember having some problem with it not
being able to reverse engineer a few tables because of column type
problems. I don't remember the details, but I did report it. I ran it
under VMWare (linux host, win2k guest), so I can tell you that works
too.

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://www.in-machina.com/~reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0 0xD178AAF9