PL/Perl returning multiple rows

From: Christopher Murtagh <christopher(dot)murtagh(at)mcgill(dot)ca>
To: "'PostgreSQL General'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PL/Perl returning multiple rows
Date: 2003-11-10 20:59:53
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

I'm trying to write a pl/perl function that will return multiple rows.
I've looked all over the web and only found vague references as to how
to do this (some said it was possible, and some said it wasn't but it
was for older versions of Postgres).

Basically I would *love* to be able to do something like this:

SELECT some_id
FROM some_table
WHERE ....
INTERSECT
SELECT perlfunc(someparameter);

Is this possible, or do I need to insert results into a temporary table
and intersect with that?

SELECT some_id
FROM some_table
WHERE ....
INTERSECT
SELECT some_id
FROM temp_result
WHERE temp_id = perlfunc(someparameter);

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Chris