Default user after upgrade to 7.3?

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: Postgres-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Default user after upgrade to 7.3?
Date: 2003-11-06 17:40:56
Lists: pgsql-general

I just upgraded a system from RedHat 8.0 to RedHat 9.0,
which also upgrades the version of PostgreSQL.

However, I cannot run pgsql to restore the databases
because I don't know a 'default' user with permission
to run pgsql:

postmaster successfully started
LOG: database system was shut down at 2003-11-06 10:27:18 MST
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/80193C
LOG: redo record is at 0/80193C; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction id: 480; next oid: 16976
LOG: database system is ready
FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "root"
FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres"
FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "swampler"

Am I missing something obvious? I couldn't find any
mention of needing to add a default user (I thought user
postgres was the default...) in the installation docs.
(And how do I do so, given that I can't run createuser
as anyone...?)

Thanks!
-Steev
--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota