Re: Very poor estimates from planner

From: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very poor estimates from planner
Date: 2003-11-05 23:46:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm not sure if that will actually change the default_statistics_target of
> the tables you're analyzing, I think it will only apply to newly created
> tables.
>
> I believe you have to alter table alter column set statistics 1000 for
> each column you want a statistic of 1000. You might wanna try starting
> with 50 or 100 and see if that works first.

Hmm.. I was under the impression that it would work for any tables that
haven't otherwise been overridden.

Sets the default statistics target for table columns that have
not had a column-specific target set via ALTER TABLE SET
STATISTICS. Larger values increase the time needed to do
ANALYZE, but may improve the quality of the planner's estimates.
The default is 10.