Re: Cache lookup failed?

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cache lookup failed?
Date: 2003-08-18 14:17:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 09:44, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> It usually refers to some cached plan referring to a table or object that
> does not exist anymore. Do you have stored procedures that refer to tables
> that are deleted? This includes temporary tables.
>
> So maybe it's only happening when a certain stored procedure is executed
> twice in the same session?

No, I don't think so. It seems to be pretty consistently happening in
our homegrown database connection class, as we are executing a query
against the PG metadata tables. Something like --

select a.attname, t.typname, a.attlen, a.atttypmod, a.attnotnull,
a.atthasdef, a.attnum
from pg_attribute a,
pg_class c,
pg_type t
where c.relname = ?
and a.attrelid = c.oid
and a.attnum >= 0
and t.oid = a.atttypid
order by 1

This is happening inside DBD::Pg, the "table_attributes" method. The
relname being selected is NOT a temp table. We do make extensive use of
temp tables in the code, however.

--
Jeff Boes vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer fax 269.349.9076