Re: New to list, quick question.

From: Franco Bruno Borghesi <franco(at)akyasociados(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: Rich Parker <RichParker(at)fssi-ca(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New to list, quick question.
Date: 2003-08-15 17:35:41
Lists: pgsql-general

you can retrieve any information of tables by queryng the catalog of
your database. For example, to get a description of table "sales", you
can query:

SELECT
C.relname, A.attname, T.typname
FROM
pg_class C
INNER JOIN pg_attribute A ON(C.oid=A.attrelid)
INNER JOIN pg_type T ON (T.oid=A.atttypid)
WHERE
C.relname='sales';

from perl, php, c or whatever.

Here (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/interactive/catalogs.html) is
the catalog tables documentation.

About your second question, you need to install contrb/dbsize. Then you
can query
SELECT relation_size('sales');
to get the size of your sales table.