Re: index questions

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: PgSQL Performance ML <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: index questions
Date: 2003-07-25 17:21:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 11:52, Franco Bruno Borghesi wrote:
[snip]

> Will findSale() in the future, when I have *many* rows still use the
> index when only the first couple of
> arguments are passed to the function?
> If not, should I create more indexes (and functions) for each possible
> argument combination? (of course, with
> the given order)
>
> The thing here is that I don't understand how postgreSQL solves the
> query when the COALESCEs are used... it uses
> the index now, with a few thowsand records, but what will happen in a
> few months?

When faced with cases like this, I cobble together a script/program
that generates a few million rows of random data (within the confines
of FKs, of course) to populate these tables like "sales", and then I
see how things perform.

| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA |
| |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian |
| because I hate vegetables!" |
| unknown |