Problem using Subselect results

From: oheinz(at)stud(dot)fbi(dot)fh-darmstadt(dot)de
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem using Subselect results
Date: 2003-07-23 12:51:48
Lists: pgsql-sql

I want to use the result of a subselect as condition of another one.

CREATE VIEW my_view AS SELECT b,c
(SELECT a, b FROM table2 WHERE b=1) my_ab,
(SELECT c FROM table3, my_ab WHERE table3.a=my_ab.a) my_c;

does return "relation my_ab unknown". it is not just a problem of execution
order - if i turn it the other way round it's still the same.

Am I just trying to do something really stupid? And what for is the (necessary)
AS statement for subselects, if it's not possible to access their results by
that name?
As I need the result of a subselect in several other subselects it's not
possible to transform them into a cascade of sub, subsub, subsubsub.... selects.
Any ideas?

TIA,
Oliver