Re: force the use of a particular index

From: Scott Cain <cain(at)cshl(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: force the use of a particular index
Date: 2003-07-11 15:38:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Tom,

Embarrassingly, I can't. I've been monkeying with the database so much
that I can't seem to get it back to the state where I reproduce the
behavior I want. A database drop and reload may be the only way, but
since that is a time consuming thing to do, I won't be able to do it
until this evening.

Thanks,
Scott

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 11:24, Tom Lane wrote:
> Scott Cain <cain(at)cshl(dot)org> writes:
> > So, the question is, is there a way I can force the query planner to use
> > the index I want it to use?
>
> No (and I don't think there should be). Given that it *can* generate
> the plan you want, this is clearly an estimation failure. What is the
> index it does use? Would you show us EXPLAIN ANALYZE results when
> using each index?
>
> regards, tom lane
Scott Cain, Ph. D. cain(at)cshl(dot)org
GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/) 216-392-3087