Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application

From: Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL alternative to "Oracle Real Application
Date: 2003-06-18 18:01:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 10:52, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> PLEASE NOTE -
>
> I worked at EDS for a while managing UNIX boxes on the front line.
> Oracle, even with clustering, did not always fail over or work properly.
> Many times it had to be manually failed over because the database didn't
> detect that one was down. In other cases, the drivers were hosed and we
> had to restart the entire application (on ~80 different boxes) to get them
> to point to the new live target.
>
> Don't believe the hype. It's just that - hype. It's better than nothing,
> but certainly not "unbreakable".

What (exact, if possible) version of Oracle?

[snip]
| Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net |
| Jefferson, LA USA http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| |
| "Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me |
| thy discordant images at such speed as to render linear |
| thought impossible" (Calvin, regarding TV) |