Choosing Between PL/PGSQL or C/C++ for Triggers/Store Procs

From: Clay Luther <claycle(at)cisco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Choosing Between PL/PGSQL or C/C++ for Triggers/Store Procs
Date: 2003-06-12 18:54:44
Lists: pgsql-general

For a very complex database in which we plan to implement database rules
via triggers, I need some information on which language, PL/PGSQL or
C/C++ provides the most "bang for the buck" with respect to performance.
One initially presumes the C/C+ stored procs/triggers will be faster,
but after reading some posts on the list about the Query Planner and
PL/PGSQL, I was wondering if using PL/PGSQL might not be better.

1) Is there a clear-cut choice when performance is the issue?
2) Is there a fuzzy choice at work here? Perhaps PL/PGSQL for simple,
obvious stored proces/triggers, but C/C++ for complexity?

Thanks.

--
Clay
claycle(at)cisco(dot)com