Still confused about VACUUM vs. VACUUM FULL

From: Jeff Boes <jboes(at)nexcerpt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Still confused about VACUUM vs. VACUUM FULL
Date: 2003-06-12 16:18:43
Lists: pgsql-admin

[Apologies if you have seen this before. I just discovered that posting
to the group via NNTP, at Teranews.com, apparently isn't working since
my posts aren't showing up in the mailing list archives.]

We are trying to run down some performance differences between our
production system (where we run a VACUUM FULL every night on nearly
every table) and our test system (where we have stopped doing the VACUUM
FULL, but still do VACUUM ANALYZE). For large (>1 million rows) tables
which have a pretty high turn-over (average life span of a row is 3
days), should there be any query performance differences whether you
VACUUM FULL or not?

--
Jeff Boes vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
Database Engineer fax 269.349.9076