Re: Maximum Performance Follow-up Question

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter T(dot) Brown" <peter(at)memeticsystems(dot)com>
Cc: "'Radu-Adrian Popescu'" <radu(dot)popescu(at)aldratech(dot)com>, "'Postgres Admin List'" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maximum Performance Follow-up Question
Date: 2002-01-25 19:50:24
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Peter T. Brown" <peter(at)memeticsystems(dot)com> writes:
> Is there any BIG risk in turning fsync off?

No, I wouldn't say so if you consider your data noncritical. fsync is
for stuff like orders and bank accounts, where losing even one
committed transaction is not acceptable.

> And isn't there some way to use fsync but just use it less frequently,

That's pretty much what you get with fsync off: the Unix system will
still flush data to disk every 30 sec or so (see syncer daemon's man
page).