Re: Client failure allows backed to continue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Client failure allows backed to continue
Date: 2003-01-28 04:17:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Well, if we get an I/O error, I can't imagine why we would continue
> doing anything --- are any of those recoverable?

Well, that's what's not clear --- it's hard to tell if a write failure
is a hard error or just transient. If we make like elog(ERROR),
returning to the main loop, and then a read from the client *doesn't*
fail, we'll try to continue ... but we've just screwed the pooch,
because we have not sent a complete message and therefore certainly have
messed up frontend/backend synchronization. I have no idea whether it's
really possible to recover from this situation or not, but that approach
surely won't work.

If you want to take a kamikaze any-comm-error-means-we're-dead approach,
you might think about elog(FATAL). But that tries to send a message to
the client. Instant infinite loop, if the error is hard.

Complaints to the postmaster log, and abort at the next safe place
(*not* partway through message output) seem like the way to go to me.

> Do we need a separate error type for I/O messages?

Uh ... see COMMERROR.