Re: 7.4?

From: Joe Tomcat <tomcat(at)mobile(dot)mp>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.4?
Date: 2003-02-24 12:00:51
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 07:08, Tom Lane wrote:
> Back when I was working for Great Bridge and got to spend a fair amount
> of time at trade shows talking to potential customers, the thing we
> heard over and over again was that people wanted multiple servers for
> reliability/redundancy. That goal seems to me to be best served by a
> symmetric multi-master configuration, which is difficult if not
> impossible to do with async replication.

I'm glad to hear that PG is heading in that direction. Think of it this
way: the entire reason we use databases instead of a mess of text files
is because of the benefits we get in terms of data consistency. ACID
forms the foundation for a reliable service, whether it's financial
transactions or a chat room. It is difficult or impossible to maintain
ACID in an async situation, I believe.

Sync is actually much more useful because it lets a business have a
cluster of servers without having to worry about what state things are
in.